After what seems like a million years, but is in fact about 6, the tilty-chainy thing on the Kelly Kettle fell off. Perhaps it has a real name. Chanise. ChainyMacChainface. Something like that.
Anyway, I digress.
There are two rivets that hold the chain onto the body of the KK. One corroded through two years ago (and was duly reported on here) so it was inevitable that the other would eventually give up, if only out of (non-) solidarity with its colleague.
I must stress that this KK has done six long, hard years of work. On average, it must’ve been boiled more than once a day (I’m about to boil it for the second time today in a bit), every time completely full.
To try to ensure that the tilty-chainy thing actually stays attached whilst pouring out the boiling water, I have used a wire, poked through the holes where the rivets were then fed through the holes in the tilty-chainy thing. I re-used the wire from an old, small whisk. The wire around the handle proved to be too weak – it snapped when I twisted it – so I used a piece from the business end of the whisk. Although I couldn’t completely twist this round, it was certainly sturdy enough. Then I added a liberal layer of FG8, the food-grade sealant recommended by the good folks at Kelly Kettle themselves.
After a day, it was time to test the repair. Water in and not leaking – check. Boiled water not leaking – check. No ‘chonk’ noise followed by a severely burnt foot as I poured the boiling water out – check. Success (well, for now)!